We believe wholeheartedly in the Midwives' Model of Care: a time-intensive, relationship-based style of care that features evidence-informed decisions, collaborative practice, health education and emotional support.
We are committed to:
- Providing Taos' diverse population professional, innovative, integrated and culturally competent prenatal, birth and postpartum care at our free-standing Birth Center
- Establishing a financially sustainable collaborative free-standing Birth Center to be a model for Taos County and for other medically underserved areas of the nation.
As midwives, our biggest concern is your health and well-being during your pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum experience. The two midwives in our practice have collectively attended over 3000 births.
Studies show that the comprehensive prenatal care midwives offer decreases premature birth rates and low birth weight. Having an experienced midwife in attendance during labor gives the birthing woman confidence and empowerment, thus reducing the need for unnecessary interventions and significantly reducing the risk of cesarean delivery.
Continuing the Taos Birth Center tradition since 1981
Every woman's pregnancy, birth and postpartum is unique. Our philosophy of care acknowledges this difference:
- we offer full-scope prenatal services. Our appointments are 30 minutes long, allowing plenty of time to answer questions, discuss all aspects of your pregnancy, and in general get to know you (and you us!).
- you will receive care that is culturally appropriate, family-centered and specific to your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs.
- informed consent, or shared decision-making, is an important aspect of our approach to your care. We take the time needed to make sure you understand the decisions you face during your care, including the benefits, risks and alternatives. Download our Informed Consent Form.
- you will receive nurturing postpartum care and support in your home as well as at the Birth Center in the six weeks after your birth.
- 99% of our Taos Birth Center mamas have breastfed. If you choose to breastfeed, we offer our support and attention to guide you through the process if you have questions.
- if you wish to have a birth control plan after your birth, our midwives will provide counsel and help you implement your desired contraception method.
Please ask for an example of our Informed Consent form, which outlines what our midwives can and cannot do during your pregnancy, birth and postpartum experience.
We care deeply about our clients and want you to have a safe, informed, nurturing and beautiful pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience. We believe - supported by strong recent evidence - that health professionals working in a collaborative fashion with other professionals ensure optimal outcomes for women, newborns and new families. Our clients also benefit tremendously from our collaborative relationship with and proximity to Holy Cross Hospital. We refer our clients to an MD, a physical therapist, counselor, acupuncturist, massage therapist or other community professional if and when the need arises. First-time mothers and/or fathers may also choose to enroll in the First Steps Home Visiting Program.